This introductory workshop covers the theory and practice of adjusting a bike’s brakes and chains.
Participants will learn these aspects of bike maintenance:
- How to do basic brake adjustments
- How to know when your brake pads need replacing
- Chain maintenance – when and why a chain needs to be replaced
- Demo basic gear adjustment tips
If possible, participants should bring their own bikes so they can carry out some hands-on work on their own transportation.
Good Cycles is a Melbourne based social enterprise that empowers young people who are facing barriers to work. Good Cycles offers them employment pathways to improve their futures and contribute to more sustainable cities.
Good Cycles currently carries out the following activities around Melbourne:
- Maintains the Lime bike share scheme
- Uses a fleet of e-bikes to maintain city infrastructure around Melbourne (for example, solar compacting bins)
- Uses e-bikes to clean and maintain several fleets of car share cars
They operate three (soon to be 5) bike shops in Melbourne and Geelong.